Driving isn’t a perfect science. Sometimes accidents occur – even when you are being careful. But there are certain acts when driving that can put you at an increased risk of finding yourself involved in an accident. One such action is merging. Merging can cause serious accidents whether due to lack of attention, or to road rage as a result of frustration brought on by high traffic areas. Here’s what to know about merging accidents in New Mexico.
Risky Behaviors Involved with Merging
In our fast-paced world, we are constantly rushing to get from one place to another. In the process of moving so quickly, we sometimes forget to be courteous of other drivers around us who are also in a hurry to get where they’re going. There are several risky behaviors often involved with merging. These behaviors include:
- Cutting off other vehicles without notice
- Watching the lane you’re about to merge into – and not the road in front of you
- Failing to change lanes in order to allow others to merge onto the road
- Failing to check your blind spot before trying to merge
- Failing to signal before changing lanes
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Merging onto the road too quickly
- Crossing multiple lanes of traffic at once
- Merging off the road (e.g. the off-ramp) at the last minute
How to Avoid Merging Accidents
Once you understand the common behaviors that increase your risk of a merging accident, you are much better equipped to prevent such accidents. Unfortunately, you can’t always prevent merging accidents caused by others. However, you can prevent causing them. Here are some tips for preventing yourself from causing a merging accident:
- Never merge without first using your turn signal
- Always yield to oncoming traffic when about to merge onto a highway
- Always check your mirrors and blind spots prior to merging
- Only merge into one lane at a time
- Maintain speed with the surrounding vehicles
- Refrain from tailgating
- Follow speed limits and obey traffic laws
While you can’t always prevent accidents from occurring, you can reduce their likelihood by doing your part to drive (and merge) safely.
MPJ Law Firm Can Help Those in NM Who Have Been Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, it can greatly impact your life. It can be difficult enough to deal with your injuries, but it can be even harder when you are left to pick up the pieces financially. You should never have to pay the price for someone else’s mistakes.
At MPJ Law Firm, we have a deep understanding of car accidents and understand the effects that such accidents often have on just about all aspects of your life. We will always act in your best interest. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, contact us today!
Posted in: Automobile Accidents