When we purchase a product, we are relying on it to be safe if we use it properly and follow the safety instructions and restrictions. Sometimes, a product defect makes it unsafe and people are harmed as a result. A product liability claim arises when a person has been injured or suffered some other kind of harm as a result of a defect in a product. MPJ Law Firm helps these victims of defective products. You are legally entitled to seek monetary compensation for your losses. MPJ Law Firm will advocate on your behalf every step of the way.
What are the Different Types of Products Liability Cases?
While there is a wide variety of product liability cases out there, there are three main categories of product liability claims.
- Defect in manufacturing: When a product was defectively manufactured, it can cause injury. A defectively manufactured product may have been perfectly designed, but there was a mistake in making the item. This means that all of the other products of this type would not cause harm, but the defectively manufactured item has a defect that caused harm. That is a critical element. It must have been the defect that caused the injury to successfully bring a product liability claim.
- Defect in design: In other cases, a product was defectively designed. This means that the product would be dangerous even if it was manufactured exactly according to design specifications. Again, the injury must have been directly caused due to the defect in the product and not for something else like misuse of the product.
- Failure to adequately warn or instruct on product’s proper use: With this kind of product liability case, a product may have been perfectly designed and perfectly manufactured, but the product presents some other kind of danger that is not readily apparent to a person who is using it. Some products require taking special precautions when in use. When there are not proper warnings and instructions to make the user aware of the need to take certain precautions, injury can be the result. As with the other types of product liability cases, the injury must have been the result in the failure to warn in order to bring a successful claim.
What Can I Be Compensated for in a Product Liability Claim?
Like other kinds of personal injury claims, you can seek monetary compensation for the injuries and losses you incurred as a result of someone else’s negligence. This includes compensatory damages which are intended to restore you to the condition you were in prior to the injury incurred. Compensatory damages fall into two categories: economic and non-economic losses. Economic losses are generally easy to put a monetary value on because they include things like:
- Medical costs
- Costs of future medical care
- Lost wages
- Loss of or damage to property
You can look to things like bills and income to place a value on these things. Non-economic damages, on the other hand, are difficult to quantify. These kinds of losses involve the suffering you endured both physically and emotionally. To put a number on what your pain and suffering is worth seems next to impossible, but a court will attempt to do so if you are successful in bringing your product liability claim.
Providing Dedicated Legal Representation to Those Injured by a Defective Product.
At MPJ Law Firm, we are here for you. Our clients have been through so much. We are here to fight for them. Proudly serving the residents of Albuquerque, New Mexico, MPJ Law Firm will be relentless in our pursuit of your legal right to compensation for your injuries.
Posted in: Product Liability