Accidents happen every day, but some can prove more serious than others. When you have been injured in an accident it can prove physically, emotionally, and financially exhausting for both you and your loved ones. That’s why it can be extremely helpful to consult with a knowledgeable and experienced personal injury attorney who understands just what’s at stake and who can help you to obtain the compensation that you deserve in order to move on with your life.
Meeting with a Personal Injury Attorney
Although many of us understand why consulting with a qualified attorney can be so advantageous, they lack a clear understanding of the actual process. One of the most common questions that we hear is how someone should prepare for his or her first meeting with an attorney. Although not required, here are some suggestions for what you may want to consider bringing along.
- Police/Accident Report
- Ambulance/Hospital Admittance Reports
- Personal Statement
- Medical Bills
- Medical Reports
- Insurance Policies
- ICBC Adjuster Report/Statement
What Questions Should I Ask?
It’s okay if you don’t have all of the documentation that your attorney would like. When you meet with him or her they will let you know what else they need for your case. Aside from documentation, you may also want to prepare some questions to bring with you. Some questions to ask your attorney include the following:
- What evidence do I need?
- Is it worth it to take legal action for this claim?
- How much are your fees?
- If successful how will I receive compensation?
- What are my options for settling out of court?
- What should I do while I await settlement?
- How can I save money?
- How long do you foresee my case taking?
- If this goes to litigation what happens next?
- What is your fee/billing structure?
- How and with what frequency will I speak with you?
- Can I have some references of yours that I can reach out to?
Answers to Prepare
Just as you will have questions that you bring along, your attorney will have some questions for you too. The answers to these questions will help them to determine how best to proceed with your case. Such questions may include:
- When and where was the accident?
- What was the weather like when the accident occurred?
- What time of day was the accident?
- Were you driving a vehicle?
- How old is the vehicle you were driving?
- Is the vehicle you were driving up-to-date on service and maintenance?
- Can you describe the accident?
- What injuries did you incur from the accident?
- Have you been dealing with any pain?
- Which injuries did you have prior to the accident?
- Has this created difficulty focusing at work?
- Have you missed any work?
- What treatments has the doctor suggested?
MPJ Law Firm Can Help Those Who Have Been Injured by Another
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident due to the negligence of another, it can feel overwhelming. But you shouldn’t have to pay the price for someone else’s mistakes. At MPJ Law Firm, we have a deep understanding of personal injury accidents and a long history of dealing with insurance companies. We will always act in your best interest. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, contact us today!
Posted in: Personal Injury